Progressing- intercooler and coolant systems done

The intercooler saga appears to be behind me. Garrett intercoolers are not guaranteed to be air tight – this was an interesting fact to me and honestly a reason I’ll probably switch camps for future turbo needs.

The intercooler is mounted to the radiator. The radiator is mounted to the car.

I decided to go with AN fittings and lines for the coolant systems. I blocked off the radiator neck and have installed one in the back of the motor. The line setup was very simple. I may need to add a vent on the top of the radiator to eliminate air pockets.

Some new parts were ordered to get things finished up- some exhaust bends, intercooler hose clamps etc. With some luck I’ll even be able to get to the drive shaft area and measure for one soon!

One other change was ditching the water pump housing that I previously cut off the tensioner bracket. I went back to the ep3 pulley and tensioner and a 50.5” belt. The fitment was perfect and being an oem solution I feel like it’s one less thing to worry about now! Phew

Intercooler and learning to weld aluminum

I would be lying if I said I’ve enjoyed building this intercooler. It seems to have fought me the entire time.

For never having welded aluminum – I’m happy with the look of the weld. Unfortunately when I went to pressure test it I have a number of leaks from the core. Like a bad game of “whack a mole” I seem to fix them and then find new ones..

Sadly at this point I’m going to cut off the end tanks and try again. It’s unfortunate but I am not sure what other choices I have. Most shops are not willing to try welding the current project and I’m not ready to throw a $400 core away. Stay tuned for updates