I placed an order in early May for a pcm wiring harness and flashed pcm. The company was Swap Specialties and Performance. ( http://swapspecialties.com ) Initially they told me 4 weeks turn around. As of this day it’s been roughly 13 weeks and they don’t answer their phone consistently (4 times in probably 40 calls) and when they have they told me “it’s being buttoned up and will go out Thursday”- but nothing has ever appeared. Then the story changed to “that person doesn’t work here anymore” but the line about it shipping on Thursday continues.
I finally filed a paypal case against them and not surprisingly they did not even reply to that. Thankfully Paypal was able to recover my money. ($730+). Their conduct was very poor and the multiple lies were not appreciated!
If nothing else I hope my frustration saves someone else the hassle. I will admit I don’t know what I will do next- this is a big setback.
To finish the front of the motor I needed to find a way to tension the belt due to the fact I wont have an AC compressor.
To start I went to NAPA to get an Idler and a belt. I wanted to mount the tensioner high up since my engine often sits below the frame rail.
Pulley came from NAPA. It is grooved and part number 409703
This wasn’t the first belt I bought. I think the factory part was 1940mm. I went to 1740mm to get a good fit.
Napa Part number 050685- It is a 5 Rib 1740mm belt.
This shows the belt route and the rough placement I was considering. Note my tensioner is smaller than the factory AC Pulley.
Bracket created using the 2 front bolt holes. It is a solid fit so I didnt feel like I needed to move further back and triangulate. Note the location is higher than an AC.
This is the side view. It was essentially 2 pieces at right angles with a brace to stop deflection.
This is a close up view of the bracket. I painted it while hot so the paint bubbled. I like the look.
The end result is fairly good. I am happy and things appear to be tracking well and cleanly. I might add a nut to the back of the bolt. Right now I have tapped the steel plate (3/8″ thick) so I think it is good enough.
If you own a Camaro or ATS chances are you have the same transmission I am using. The one piece I will be using is the stock throw out bearing. Unfortunately The clutch hose I received was cut and my car actually has a steel braided AN line today. I plan to simply unscrew the -4 fitting that attaches to the miata slave cylinder and thread this piece on. That should be all that is needed to operate the hydraulic clutch for the LTG.
My personal opinion is that Fidanza shouldn’t be allowed to sell parts with sick half assed support . To get a party they recommended I would have to go to Europe or China but online the part is harder to find than a uniform.
I bought a piece of bronze on what and stayed to machine my own. The dimensions were simple. 16mmID 28mmOD and 26mm in length. It took about an hour to make.
Overall it will get the job done and be fine. That said I am no where near the phase of recommending a fidanza product. Especially after the need for custom bolts!
Turbocharger Arrived this week and I quickly mounted it in a mock up fashion. Finding the size nuts and bolts for it is proving it be a royal pain in the ass.
It is a used unit from a junk yard off a stock motor which should be good enough for mock ups and to get things rolling. The air exit pipe actually fits in a good spot. Hopefully it will stay within the body lines.
This weekend I started cleaning the engine (Brake clean is the $hit!) with the intention of mounting the flywheel and trans in the near future. There are some cheap engine stands on amazon for $40 but I don’t feel they would bolt up easily. I will probably start to build and frame up something that will offset the engine and make transmission attachment plausible.
For the transmission I added a bar at the back with 2 casters. That makes it easy to pick up the one side of the engine and slide it around.
Car is in the background. I do feel the intake manifold will need to be replaced with something custom to prevent the large side bulge.
I could use some help. If someone knows the connector that I could replace the clutch line with I would appreciate it. The factory line was cut and this was the connector that is left (It goes into the clutch slave cylinder). Ideally I want this piece to a -4an fitting to connect to my Wilwood master cylinder.
I recently bought clutch cover bolts online and ironically 6 packages came from a GM online dealer. To my disappointment each only had 1 m6 bolt within it.
This is the GM throttle pedal. It isn’t ideal because of the angle that it mounts but some fabrication can make it work. Because the ecu is drive by wire a new pedal was needed. Here are a few pictures showing the pedal
To get the motor off of the pallet I wanted to build a “skate” to hold the engine and trans. My goal is to add wheels to the engine and the trans and have an assembly that can move around and probably running.
I tried to mount the paper version on a piece of steel and trace it out. My goal was then to cut it out with the plasma cutter. Unfortunately 25 amps was not enough and the breaker would trip at that point. A 4.5″ angle grinder did a good job and soon after I bought a bunch of flap disks with the intent of getting them to being really smooth and pretty. Next up I need to measure and cut spacers as the plates will not bolt flush to the engine block.